About the Deluxe Grizzlies & Culture
Get the best of both worlds on our ultimate wildlife and Indigenous cultural tour. Journey to a historic Homalco First Nation village site and see wild grizzly bears on the same day. This one-of-a-kind adventure tour offers the best of our Great Bears of Bute tour and People Water Land tour, with savings of over $160!
You’ll set a course from Campbell River toward Aupe (Church House) while learning about Homalco culture and their traditional territory. Step off the front of our state-of-the-art landing craft onto the rocky beach of Aupe. Your First Nation tour guide leads an interpretive walk around the old village site while sharing history and stories about the Homalco way of life.
Get back onboard and continue the journey into the breathtaking beauty of Bute Inlet to Orford Bay – home of the Great Bears of Bute! Upon arrival, enjoy a picnic lunch with unobstructed views of the Orford Estuary, surrounded by spectacular mountain peaks.
Thus begins your 3-hour land-based search for bears, elk and eagles along the salmon-bearing Orford and Algard rivers. Observe and photograph these remarkable animals in their natural habitat from various raised platforms and ground viewing locations.
This one-of-a-kind adventure tour will give you a deeper understanding of Grizzly bears, their habitat and the Homalco people who have lived alongside them for millennia.
Book an Indigenous
- All participants must be physically capable to walk off vessels onto land, and up/down stairs. Please contact us if you have any mobility concerns
- 9 hour tour
- Lunch, snacks, and beverages are included
- Heated and covered boat with onboard toilet
- Minimum age is 10 years old (all passengers aged 10 to 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 19+)
- Start time: 9:45am
- Disclaimer: All times and tour components subject to change based on weather and safety considerations
What to Bring
- Durable shoes
- Warm layered clothing and rain gear
- Hat (toque, beanie, sunhat)
- Water bottle to help us in our efforts to reduce single use plastics
- Insect repellent
- Camera - tripods restricted. Monopods considered
- Curiosity and a smile :-)
Deposits & Conservation Fee
Full amount is due upon booking; cancel with full refund up to 48 hours before tour start
Be sure to check your junk folder for tour confirmation just in case!
You can cancel at any time up to 48 hours before your scheduled tour for a FULL refund. Less than 48 hours’ notice is non-refundable. Please see our Covid-19 Updates for questions about Covid-19.
SALMON RESTORATION & BEAR CONSERVATION:
Contributions will be applied for each guest during the booking process. Salmon conservation supports the Homalco Salmon Hatchery in Orford Bay in rebuilding native wild salmon populations to enhance healthy grizzly bear habitat, while also protecting the Indigenous roots, culture and food source of the Homalco First Nation. Bear conservation supports the Commercial Bear Viewing Association of BC (CBVA), developed to promote sustainable bear viewing in British Columbia and aid in the protection of wild bears and their ecosystems.