STATUS: Seasonal. Full-time and part-time positions available. April – mid-October.
JOB LEVEL: Experienced
SALARY: Competitive hourly rate
Homalco Wildlife & Cultural Tours seeks Skilled & Experienced Skippers to safely transport guests on whale watching, grizzly bear, cultural excursions, and water taxi runs from Campbell River through the Discovery Islands and Bute Inlet, BC. Our team is looking for passionate individuals who can deliver the ultimate marine experience for our customers, while maintaining professionalism and always putting safety first. Skippers are expected to have a high level of understanding when it comes to marine wildlife and the natural environment.
Successful candidates will enthusiastically deliver a world-class experience as an ambassador of the Homalco First Nation, while striving to raise the standard of Indigenous tourism. On tour you will work as a team with a cultural guide or marine naturalist to provide local knowledge of historical geographic locations and history/facts of marine wildlife. You are familiar with local shorelines, hazards, tides, and know how to safely operate a vessel in variable weather and sea conditions. Experience with landing craft vessels and operating outboard and sterndrive engines is an asset.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Your primary objectives are to provide the highest standard of safe navigation in compliance with the NIMMSA code of conduct while sharing your local knowledge to deliver a legendary guest experience.
MINIMUM Required skills and certifications: (Some training assistance provided)
• Local marine knowledge of the area and experience navigating the waters
• Basic marine operator certifications including Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP), Small Domestic Vessel – Basic Safety (SDV-BS), Radio Operators Certificate Marine (ROC-M), Basic Marine First Aid or OFA level 1
• Commercial Bear Viewing Level 1 (CBVA)
• Driver’s License – Class 4 an asset
• All about safety
• Passionate about local marine wildlife and First Nation culture
• Reliable, respectful, and a team player who cares about the guest experience
• Excited to work with diverse people from various backgrounds
• Available holidays and weekends
What makes working for us different?
As an Indigenous Social Enterprise, we focus on more than just profit. Our team of Indigenous and non-Indigenous staff are committed to First Nation cultural & language reclamation, opportunity development and environmental stewardship.
Please email [email protected] with cover letter and resume. Deadline to apply: February 12th, 2024